Search This Blog

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Maybe all it needed was time ... ...

for the LVF1 (Lumix's EVF, Electronic View Finder) to grow on its user. I took the plunge in purchasing the DMW-LVF1 which cost 1/5 the price of the camera. Read a couple of review which complain about the price (obviously), bad resolution and not user friendly.

Frankly speaking, I didn't quite like it on the first day of use as I find the display indeed too small and there's a tunnel vision effect (see third photo) making the image look so much further. The colour seems slightly bluish and the LCD does a better job in the area.
However, I figure that it takes a little getting use to and after a while, it is quite a handy piece of equipment especially when composing a shot.

The fantastic thing I like about it is the tilting function (See photo below). That allows me to hold the camera down instead of me lying on the floor.

The last complaint about it being user unfriendly is that the toggle button between the LVF and the LCD is difficult to operate. On the contrary, I like it very much as I can toggle the display effectively using my index figure. Perhaps, that reviewer has a really short finger.
Bottom line about the LVF1:
It is an essential item for outdoor shoot under the sun; this is where it proves its worth.
It makes the GF1 less amateurish with a view finder.
It is great for composing shots.
Too expensive for the resolution it produces.
Final Note: Notice the 1 after LVF? Perhaps, Panasonic will improve on it and LVF2 will surface.

No comments: